Dates: August 1 – 3, 2014
Location: Portland, OR
SIGMAA-MCST Guide for MathFest
Wednesday, Aug 6
- 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm, Grand Opening Exhibit Hall Reception – NAMC booth open!
- 6:00 pm – 7:00 pm. Dr. Brandy Wiegers presents Mathematical Tilings.
- 7:00 pm – 8:00 pm. Dr. Japheth Wood presents Wooden cubes and masking tape.
Thursday, August 7
- 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, Exhibit Hall Open – NAMC booth open!
- 10:00 am – 11:00 am. Dr. Phil Yasskin presents Two person games including Tip the Die.
- 1:00 pm -2:00 pm. Dr. Jim Tanton present Teacup Twists.
Conducting two full rotations is surely no different, in the end, from conducting just one full rotation (or no rotation at all). Expert twirlers would certainly say this. But have you ever twirled in the midst of a tangle of strings? Come to this session and experience some mind-blowing, tangle-twirling shockers!
- 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm. NAMC MathCircle hosted Appetizers and self-hosting Dinner
Location: Yard House Restaurant: website
Friday, August 8
- 9:00 am – 5:00 pm. Exhibit Hall Open – NAMC booth open!
- 10:00 am – 11:00 am. Dr. Dave Auckly presents Logic puzzles.
- 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm. Dr. Amanda Serenevy presents The Orbit Stabilizer Theorem.
While exploring the actions of symmetry transformations on polygons, we will discover the orbit stabilizer theorem and then use it to determine the number of colorings of the vertices of a cube up to those symmetries.
- 2:35 pm -3:55 pm SIGMAA Activities. Ballroom Level, Grand Ballroom II.
- Gene Abrams, University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
- Brian Conrey, American Institute of Mathematics
- Amanda Serenevy, Riverbend Community Math Center
- James Tanton, Mathematical Association of America
- Sam Vandervelde, St Lawrence University
- Paul Zeitz, University of San Francisco
Saturday, August 9
- 9:00 am – 12:30 pm, Exhibit Hall Open – NAMC booth open!
- 10:00 am – 11:00 am. Dr. Brandy Wiegers presents Slide Rules Rule!
- 9:00 am – 9:50 am SIGMAA MCST – Circle Demo for Math Fest Attendees. Hilton Portland, Plaza Level, Pavilion East.
- 10:30 am – 11:25 am SIGMAA MCST – Math Wrangle. Hilton Portland, Plaza Level, Pavilion East.